Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cotton balls, what the heck!?

First real bath after surgery (yes it's been awhile-I was stalling because I knew it was going to be a struggle, sue me) Ok the paperwork that got sent home from the hospital said "do NOT get water in the ear...blah blah...use a cotton ball coated with vaseline or ear plugs during bath time" ok that's paraphrased. Has anyone out there ever tried to get a cotton ball anywhere near a toddlers ear (especially when I've lost their trust after doing drops in their ears for 3 days...) let alone STAY in there for an entire bath? I'd just get them placed and sort of forgotten about then they'd pop out, or get noticed and pulled out. Grace took care of Klaire's too. I was SO frustrated that I called in daddy for help but he found it ridiculous too. Serious mommy melt-down (made worse by the fact that I've also come down with something at a very inoppourtune time as I'm in a wedding in CO this Sunday and have a million things to do and get ready before I leave and have no energy to do them). UGH. It better be a quick cold bug because I'm GETTING ON THAT PLANE. So anyway thought I'd share/vent/ask for help. Maybe we need the ear plugs they talked about?-although I really can't imagine them going much better. Maybe in time they'll get used to it. Klaire wore a helmet for goodness sake! I've also heard the opinion people have gotten from their ENT's that as long as they're not diving etc a little water isn't going to hurt the tubes. Who knows...but FYI, the cotton ball trick does not work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erika,

Get the plugs that are made at the ENT's they are fitted to their ears and fit much better. Ours cost about 10 dollars. They can wear them swimming etc. I always told Seth they were his ears and the dr. said he had to wear them. We really didn't have much of a problem after a while. They also have this head band thing that covers their ears when they swim. I used the plugs and the band for Seth in the pool. To many people pee in that water!
You may have to bath them seperately until they get used to having them in, then they won't be bothering with each others.

I hope you had a good time!
Jerri

Nikki said...

Hey Mama, I'd say go with the ear plugs. When Abbie & I nannied in Chicago her little girl had tubes & wore ear plugs in the bath & went swimming w/ full immersion. Just like the helmet, ear plugs are something that will just become routine! In fact they will probably start asking for them some day before hopping into the bath. Let them explore them a bit, hold them, touch them, play with them, make it a silly game to put in their ears. Then get serious & make it a NO you cannot take them out of your ears! Keep truckin' girl, parenthood is ever changing!

Erika said...

Thanks ladies...yes we plan on getting the earplugs but our appt isn't until the 22nd...so I'm kinda stuck till then!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...