Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'll take what I can get!

After picking the brains of some ladies at work (there just happens to be an early childhood center attached to my office!) I came away with a new game plan for Klaire and this potty debacle. Ignore it. Yep! That was the consensuses. I am the QUEEN of denial, this I can do! More specifically, ignore the accidents. Pretend that it's not happening. If she has an accident, clean it up with no words, reaction, even eye contact. We are past the rewards, bribery, etc etc. At this point she needs to NOT be reinforced...strange huh? Well Monday I went home and tried this new theory. Guess what? It worked. She was home with Rick that day and was wearing undies...but doing her I'll-hold-it-till-nap-time-when-I-know-I'll-get-a-pull-up-thing. So that afternoon we went outside to play and pick the rest of the garden (yes the garden still lives!:) when we came in Grace had to go, so I nonchalantly said, Ok Klaire's turn. She got up, by herself-as that seems to help, and freaking went! I started screaming and jumping, now I know I wasn't supposed to react that much, but I was genuinely excited!! She said "mom! stop screamin'" Oops. So that night she went twice. Good stuff. The rest of the week was sketchy, but she will more often tell you she has to go, instead of all the hiding and flat out refusing. So there's the update. Itty bitty potty progress. I'm not turning back now. She's only getting the pullup for bedtime and naptime...and if that becomes a crutch I'll cut out naps for awhile. This is serious business! Daycare tomorrow. Hopefully we don't lose all the ground we've gained. I guess if we do, I'll ignore it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I am so ready for potty training the twins, but they are not. Just wait, I guess.
I keep all your ideas in mind for that one day... :)

Leah said...

YAY!!! I"m soo excited about this!..and for you! I hope tomorrow and the next day goes well! ;) Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

:)!!!!!

Jerri

Anne said...

Erika, that's awesome!!! Yay for Klaire!!

I'm about to give up...the only time Ayla will go is before her bath these days. If I take her to the potty any other time, she flips out. Sigh.

KandiB said...

Hi! I found your blog by googling "Klaire" - hope you don't mind. I'm expecting another girl in March, and just LOVE the name Claire. We have a family tradition of naming all the girls (aunts, cousins, etc) with "K" names - so I've been debating spelling Klaire that way. Any thoughts? You obviously liked it enough to use it for your sweet girl. Just wondering your thoughts. I'm Kandace (with a K) and it never bothered me :) Our other daughter is Kate. Thanks for your time! And...lovely girls!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...