Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Operation Big Girl Bed: night two

Yikes. I thought the night was starting out ok. Grace was fine with laying down at first, but then Klaire who was just plain crabby last night did not want to. She was flailing around and her blankets were bugging her, and was overall agitated. Finally got her calmed down, and although these shenanigans got Grace riled up I got them both calmed down as long as I'd sit on Graces bed. I sat there for an hour before I decided they both might be sleeping and snuck out. I thought we had made progress! Last night it was 2 hours, tonight only 1!
Fast forward to 12:30. We wake up to a blood curdling scream. I seriously thought she (Grace) got herself stuck or hurt somehow, but nope. Just up. SO repeat bedtime "routine" I sat and sat, and waited and waited. Have you ever tried to be so quiet that you don't even want to swallow because you fear they might hear it? Nuts. So anyway I snuck out again just got into bed and the crying started. This is where having a spouse comes in handy. Brian tells me they are fine, they are safe, they are supposed to be sleeping. DO NOT GO IN THERE. IT'S NOT HELPING. He's right. I can't sit at the edge of their beds until they fall asleep every night. Not gonna happen. Maybe I'm mean, but I can't do it! So we listen to them cry. It was probably only about 10 minutes, but it feels like 50, I don't think that ever goes away. And now they are free so I hear every little thing on the monitor and think it's them. We did put a gate up in their doorway, I told them it was to keep Ollie out of their room and that tickled them to no end:) So the rest of the night off and on they'd wake up, cry, I'd hear a thump which I can only assume is Grace getting out of bed because Klaire has not tried that yet. Apparently she got back in and went to sleep because I didn't hear anything from 4-6. What a great nights sleep huh? Like I said, Yikes. I keep telling myself it can only get better. On a positive note Rick got them to take a nap yesterday. They do not make him sit in their room of course, that fun is reserved for mommy, but he did go in and remind them they needed to go to sleep. Eventually they did, so that is an unexpected positive. I'm trying to be positive:)So that's the update, I know you were all on the edge of your seats waiting for it! I'm documenting this so they can see how much they put me through someday, when I'm old and they have to take care of me:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing great! All kiddos sure know how to work their Momma's. I have two that do the exact same thing to me. Seth told me the other night his bed was boring and he wanted to sleep in mine. He went to bed mad!.

One thing that has helped me is I let them have a couple of toys to play with in bed, they play awhile then just lay down and the next thing you know they are out. They do get in and out of bed and mess with each other and I do have to go in and threaten. I leave the hall light on and if they don't settle down I turn it off. I know, I know it is cruel and unusual but it has got to be done!

My best advice is don't set with them every night bad habits are easier to not start than to break! and they will only cry for a couple of nights. And have a routine that doesn't vary. We read then say prayers then hugs and kisses. Then off to bed or off with the light!

Give them hugs for us!

Jerri

Me said...

I thought all these crazy sleepless nights were behind me now that my girls are sleeping through the night. What fun I still have to look forward to! Thanks for documenting what works/doesn't work!

Katie said...

What type of beds did you get for the girls? The boys are still in the converted cribs...but alas they are getting too big.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...