Yesterday morning was not a good one. The girls were freaking out about what to wear, Klaires socks and shoes were not on "just right." Grace didn't want to wear anything weather appropriate...it quickly turned into a power struggle morning from hell. So as expected drop off at daycare didn't go well. Grace clung to me, and I know it's because we had a bad morning:( I got a call that morning asking if Grace was feeling well? No fever, but she wouldn't participate in activities, eat anything and just wanted to sit on her mat. (Klaire was also not participating because she chose to sit next to Grace instead). "She looks sad" they said, ugh. Like a punch in the stomach! As long as she didn't have a fever I didn't want to swoop in and rescue her or that would surely become a habit. Later in the afternoon they called again, she was sleeping on her mat with all the other kids playing around her. That's it. I was worried by this point thinking for sure she was sick. I left work a bit early and the second I walked in, she perked up. Asked if I "had a surprise for her?" That's her little phrase meaning can we do something special or new together. I think we all got dooped by a three year old. Her teacher said, well now she sure looks fine! She even asked for her cookies that she got bribed with earlier.My point to all of this is I think all this discipline/worrying/power struggling/etc etc is having an affect on them. ONCE AGAIN I need to chill the heck out. Last night she was seriously just fine. She kept saying "I don't have a tummy ache any more!" Who knows if she really did, or this was totally behavioral.
This morning I let them wear whatever the heck they wanted. Their hair is half brushed with all kinds of crazy barrettes put in painstakingly slow, Grace has two different sized shoes on. And guess what? They were happy. We had a great morning. I'm not saying I'm going to let them run all over me, but I need to learn to give up some control. I never realized what control freak I am! I let them be more independent and they were much happier for it.
I hope she's ok today at daycare, she did cling to me again....but I'm hoping she'll do better and not try for a repeat Oscar performance.



3 comments:
Someone told me to read Parenting with Love and logic before by Foster Cline & Jim Fay SEth was born and I did and it was great but I am finding I need to read it again as they get older. It is all about teaching children responsibility. Sounds like you are on to if from your post this morning. I had to let Matt wear red shorts, knee socks, tennis shoes and a bright yellow & green soccer shirt even though it killed me. ( We had to go out in public) but it was cold and he would not listen to me so I had to let him get cold. Next time he went out he was back in his pants.
They look beautiful! Love, Granmma C.
Children understand more than we give them credit for. My twin girls are 4 and they know what they can do with daddy that they CANNOT do with mommy! You are not a monster and hitting you is never acceptable and I hope you told her that along with explaining why her animal was taken away for the evening. I think you handled it well.
Post a Comment